Advanced Diploma in Clinical Aromatherapy
This in-depth course is designed to give qualified aromatherapists further insight into essential oils and their use in a healthcare setting. The course presents a fresh approach to the study of the effects of essential oils on the body and mind, which will allow the participant an increasingly comprehensive understanding of the essential oils, their pharmacological and their therapeutic effects on clients. This is achieved by using the available course time to concentrate on the chemistry of the essential oils and how to use them in various different methods.
Although full body massage is not taught on this course, compresses, intense applications and breathing mask applications are included on the course. Creating capsules pessaries and suppositories will also be taught.
The course has been designed to accommodate the needs of the following classes of people who already hold an aromatherapy qualification.
- Practising aromatherapists who wish to incorporate more advanced techniques into their own practice and working areas and who do not have the time or the desire to carry out lengthy massage sessions.
- Aromatherapists who wish to extend and deepen their knowledge of essential oils and their use in other areas either not taught at all or not taught in sufficient detail on their basic aromatherapy courses e.g. short specific area massage/application as used in hospitals and clinical practice, compresses, lymph applications etc.
Structure and Content of the Courses
The course elaborates on the structure, properties and effects of the main compounds found in essential oils; the chemistry knowledge contained in this course is essential for therapists intending to use the oils clinically. Blending techniques where essential oils are pin-pointed by their chemical components to treat certain conditions and integrity of practice is explored with different methods of application of essential oils.
Application techniques are taught, including specialised local massage movements, specific reflex points, pessary and suppository manufacture and application, compresses and manufacture and encapsulation of vegetable oils.
- A qualification in anatomy and physiology
- Successful completion of the PPA Chemistry of Essential Oils course – In-house or Distance Learning
- An aromatherapy qualification to PPA standards
The Advanced Diploma in Clinical Aromatherapy is awarded after successful completion of the homework assignments and case studies required.